Tuesday, March 18, 2014

What I Made for Dinner :: Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken and RoastedAsparagus with Miso Dressing


I'm really embracing the slow cooker lately, even when I don't have to be out of the house during the day. It used to be that I only pulled the slow cooker out when I knew I couldn't cook dinner in the evening, but why should I limit its usefulness? By using the slow cooker, I get my act together in the morning, prep the food, and then have the rest of the day to myself. It's a win, win!

Tonight's dinner of Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken was a hit with everyone, especially the Husband. I normally don't use chicken breast (I like the flavor -- and price -- of dark meat) but since this recipe calls for bone-in breast, it's not as expensive as getting just breast meat or chicken tenders. (And pulling the skin off of bone-in chicken breast is so much easier than deboning the darn things!). I used four chicken breasts, which meant some of the chicken wasn't entire submerged in the liquid. I moved the chicken around part-way through the cooking time so they would get even flavoring and coloring. 


I didn't use all of the sauce like the Notes section suggests -- it would've been too saucy, I think. Next time I just won't make so much so I don't have to waste ingredients making the sauce. I reduced the slow cooker liquid a bit before adding the cornstarch, and I enjoyed having the onion bits in there. And don't skimp on the sesame seeds and green onions.


To accompany the chicken and rice, I used the recipe for Miso Roasted Scallions and roasted asparagus instead. Unfortunately, I over-roasted the very thin asparagus and they came out like fries. But the dressing is easy to make and quite tasty; it would definitely work with other roasted vegetables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment