Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What I Made for Dinner :: Chirashi-zushi


As a belated Girls' Day celebration, I made chirashi-zushi, a deconstructed sushi dish that's often served on this holiday. A fancy chirashi-zushi would be a seafood version, with sashimi and ikura, but I'm on a budget here so I added a bit of smoked salmon to give it an extra punch of brininess. As for the actual sushi flavor base, I cheat and use Sushi Taro, a seasoning mix you mix into freshly cooked rice. 

(I was astounded at how expensive the mix is at the Korean market ($8) compared to the price back in LA (or even online). I mentioned this to my mom and I think she'll bring some with her when she visits next month.)

I also added cucumbers, blanched snow peas, and egg (all thinly sliced). The egg is called kinshi tamago, "gold thread egg" since it's supposed to be very thin and narrow (mine, not so much). The recipe I linked to is way more complicated than what I do; I make a plain (i.e., unseasoned), thin omelet that I slice into threads. However, this time, I added half a tablespoon of the homemade shio koji I bought at the fundraiser I went to this morning. It adds a nice umami flavor to the egg without having to add dashi or salt. 


Then we finished off our meal with a dessert of wagashi: sakura mochi and uguisu mochi

No comments:

Post a Comment