Monday, March 17, 2014

What I Made for Dinner :: Corned Beef and Colcannon


Happy St. Patrick's Day! For whatever reason, I grew up eating corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's day, even though my mother came to the United States from Japan in her early 30s and has no connection to Irish-American culture. So, to this day, I find myself buying corned beef in mid-March out of habit.

This year, I got the corned beef at Trader Joe's and I think I'm going to have to rethink that next year. It's expensive and the cut of beef doesn't have enough fat on it for my liking. I guess I could try curing my own corned beef someday but I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you.

I cooked the beef and vegetables in the slow cooker using a recipe (which I now can't find) that called for adding beer to the simmering liquid. Again, I'm going to have to rethink this one. The use of Guinness changed the flavor, and since I'm not a beer drinker, I didn't enjoy it that much. 

What I really enjoyed was the Colcannon I made as an accompaniment. It's a buttery, greeny Irish mashed potato. I cooked the potatoes in the slow cooker with the corned beef instead of boiling them as usual. I was hoping to impart additional flavor to the potatoes, which it did ... Guinness flavor. There was a slight bitterness to them that wasn't 100% awesome, but it was still quite good. In addition to the cabbage I added kale for extra green and vitamins.  

No comments:

Post a Comment