Friday, March 14, 2014

What I Made for Dinner :: Lebanese Red Lentil Soup

 
This turned out to be a delightful meal, albeit a hodge-podge mix of food. The Husband's jaw was bothering him so he requested soup, and I wasn't in the mood for my usual chicken soup. Even though I was pretty sure the kids wouldn't like it, I opted to make Slow Cooker Lebanese Red Lentil Soup, accompanied by Crispy Sesame Green Bean Fries and the new Trader Joe's Shrimp Nuggets.

The soup was fantastic! The kids even liked it ... granted, they didn't ask for seconds but they didn't complain about it either. The recipe says not to cook this in the slow cooker on High, but I did (for three and a half hours) and it was fine (I did stir it every hour so it wouldn't stick/burn). I didn't use four cups of dried lentils; I used one package of Trader Joe's Red Split Lentils (two cups) and it totally filled my slow cooker when the soup was done. I did compensat for the lack of lentils by adding more chopped vegetables, but probably not an additional two cups' worth. I didn't have to add any additional liquid besides the 64 fl oz of vegetable broth I added at the beginning.

The green bean "fries" were OK but not as fantastic as the soup. There's a chance that has something to do with the fact that I used an egg instead of the coconut milk the recipe calls for for the binder. The breadcrumb (I used panko) and sesame crust wouldn't stick to the green beans after awhile, which might have something to do with the liquid binder being too thick, the breadcrumb mixture getting kind of moist, or a combination of the two. Also, it was a bit bland, so next time I would add some salt to either the liquid binder or the breadcrumbs.

The Shrimp Nuggets were actually pretty good, and they're a good alternative to the TJ's Fish Nuggets we get sometimes. There are only 14 to a package, which is either a good thing (we don't eat too many) or a bad thing (we each don't get enough).

No comments:

Post a Comment