Thursday, March 13, 2014

What I Made for Dinner :: Slow Cooker Pork Shoulder Pasta


Nothing beats using the slow cooker when you're planning to be out of the house all day and you need to have dinner prepped for when you get home. I attended a Washington Tokyo Women's Club craft group out in Virginia today (I'm a prospective member) and I didn't want to stand in front of the stove after coming home, so I spent a few minutes prepping this Slow Cooker Pork Shoulder Pasta recipe early this morning after making the kids' lunches. Literally, it was a few minutes!

I couldn't find a whole bone-in pork shoulder, so I used bone-in pork shoulder steaks instead. I'm not a fan of fennel so I omitted the fennel seeds but I can imagine how it would change the flavor.

The sauce was pretty liquidy after almost ten hours. If I had the energy or inclination, it might be worth it to transfer the sauce to a pan and cook it down for a thicker saucer that clings better to the pasta. Instead of tube pasta I used pappardelle and it was good, but I know it would've tasted better if the sauce was thicker and coated the noodles more. I have tons leftover, so I think that's what I'll do. 

Oh, and don't skimp on the lemon zest! It really brightens up the dish. Parsley might also be a good garnish.




No comments:

Post a Comment