Wednesday, March 26, 2014

What I Made for Dinner :: Chicken with Fragrant Rice


I'm a huge fan of one pot meals -- what's not to love when you get a great meal and very little clean-up? So I was immediately intrigued by this recipe that uses the rice cooker to make a complete meal. Oddly enough, this recipe for Chicken with Fragrant Rice is from movie critic Roger Ebert's book, The Pot and How to Use It: The Mystery and Romance of the Rice Cooker. Seriously. Mystery and romance!

The other beauty of this dish is that you can throw in any kind of vegetable you want. I chopped up carrots, baby bell peppers, snow peas, and green onions, but broccoli, green beans, peas, shiitake mushrooms, edamame, etc. would work equally well. I also increased the amount of chicken because I was making this as a main dish.

The thing about this dish is that, even though you cook it in a rice cooker, because of the amount of oil you use, it cooks up more like fried rice ... there was even some crispy rice on the bottom, which I loved about this dish. I'm definitely going to make it again, and it would work just as well as a side dish so it's pretty versatile.

No comments:

Post a Comment