Sunday, February 23, 2014

What I Made for Dinner :: Tofu Wanzi (Fried Tofu & Bacon Fritters) andBeef & Vegetable Stir-Fry


I found the recipe for Tofu Wanzi when Saveur posted a recipe for dipping sauces. Frankly I wasn't that interested in the sauce ... it was the fried goodness that I wanted to try!

The recipe itself is quite easy. You just have to give yourself at least six hours to press out the moisture from the tofu. Per my usual self, I didn't read that part of the recipe until just before I was about to start making dinner. I ended up pressing the tofu in the fridge for a good 24 hours (and we ate out that night!).


The other great thing about this recipe is that you can fry the tofu as crispy as you'd like. My first batch came out quite crispy and there was only a little tiny bit of identifiable tofu in the middle. Other batches I pulled the fritters out of the oil more quickly, and ended up with a crisp outside and a creamy, tasty middle. And I also had batches in between. (Seriously, this recipe makes a lot of fritters ... you can experiment!)

As an accompaniment, I made a beef and vegetable stir-fry. I think I mentioned this before on this blog, but Trader Joe's sells a thin-sliced beef that I don't recall seeing in the stores back in California. I stir-fried the meat with carrots, onions, celery, and mini bell peppers cut into matchsticks. I used saké and oyster sauce to flavor it. Super easy and pretty tasty.


Speaking of Trader Joe's, I'm into their Japanese-style rice with hijiki, fried tofu, and edamame. Sometimes I need rice that's not just plain rice and this fits the bill. Plus, you just have to microwave it!

No comments:

Post a Comment