Tuesday, February 25, 2014

What I Made for Dinner :: Chinese Style Honey Hoisin Sticky Ribs


The husband requested ribs for his birthday dinner, and instead of buying ribs I thought I would attempt to make them. Instead of traditional BBQ ribs I opted for Asian-style ribs since I had a recipe Pinned from a few weeks ago: Chinese Style Honey Hoisin Sticky Ribs.

I used spare ribs because the Chinese market didn't have baby back ribs, and they're a fine substitute (plus, I got two full racks for less than $15). Another option would be beef ribs.


Because I was making two racks I doubled the recipe and I managed to jam it all into one six-quart pot for the braising part of the recipe. I braised the meat for an hour and a half (a lot of commenters said any longer and the meat fell off the bone) and checked on the ribs. The ribs that were completely submerged were a darker color and definitely cooked to a tenderness that I like. But the ribs on top, that weren't completely submerged at first, were still a little tough. So I submerged those ribs and moved the completed ribs to the top, just to keep them moist. I braised it all for another half hour.


The one "mistake" I made was that I doubled the glaze part of the recipe and that wasn't necessary; I had a ton leftover. The dish is really enhanced by the sesame seeds and green onions. The green onions, in particular, help to cut the fattiness of the pork.


I plan to use the leftover braising liquid for ramen soup later in the week. This is an idea that was posted in the comments section. Further proof that reading the comments of those who've made the dish before you is an essential part of recipe-reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment