Tuesday, February 25, 2014

What I Baked for Dessert :: Butter Mochi


My husband isn't a huge fan of super-sweet desserts and doesn't generally go for birthday cake. So, for his birthday this year, I decided to make butter mochi, which he's been requesting I make since he tried it for the first time back in December.


Butter mochi is a Hawaiian dessert that's almost like a chewy custard. When I write it like that it doesn't sound that great, but if you like the texture of mochi, then this is a great dessert because it has a subtle sweetness and mild coconut flavor. I'm not a fan of shredded coconut so I chose this recipe that uses coconut milk, which, oddly enough, I rather enjoy. 

This is a really filling dessert so it's great for a party. It also goes really well with milk ... or green tea! I particularly enjoyed my corner piece, which was still warm from the oven. The top of the butter mochi had a slight crust to it that contrasted well with the chewy, creamy interior. That crust disappears after the butter mochi cools completely so enjoy it while you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment