Saturday, May 30, 2015

What I Baked for Dessert :: Cranberry-Orange Scones

mini orange-cranberry scones

Our immediate neighborhood is adopting a Village concept to help elderly residents age in place. Part of that includes sponsoring neighborhood get-togethers (for all ages) like a weekly walking group and occasional reading group, seasonal get-togethers, and a game night. The newest addition is a baking class taught by one of the residents. I immediately signed up when I saw it on our listserv because I want to learn more tips and tricks to improve my baking skills.

The first class was held over the weekend and we baked cranberry-orange scones. They were surprisingly easy to make but I'm so glad I had an experienced baker showing us the way. You really don't have to work the dough very much and I was close to doing so when she intervened, "Stop, stop, stop!"

I'm off to buy buttermilk and a bench scraper on Monday so I can make some more at home! I'm thinking of also making blueberry-lemon scones for the grown-ups and plain scones with coarse sugar on top for my daughter.

learning how to make scones
[picture taken by my across-the-street neighbor Bob who was my baking partner this week]

No comments:

Post a Comment