Thursday, November 7, 2013

What I Made for Dinner :: Mussels in White Wine


When my in-laws were visiting in September, Maya discovered she liked mussels. She and I had ordered an appetizer portion to share (at Mon Ami Gabi) and she ate the whole thing! It's been in the back of my mind since then that I should nurture this love of seafood so her palate stays receptive to different flavors. Mussels were on sale this week at Harris Teeter, so I thought I would change up the protein in my weekly pasta dish and switch to seafood.

I used an Ina Garten recipe with some modifications: I had four pounds of mussels so I made the necessary adjustments; I used a whole can of tomatoes; I used a combination of shallots and onions; I omitted the parsley because I didn't have any; and I served it with thin spaghetti and sour dough bread (we love our carbs!).

I'm actually not a huge fan of mussels, but I love the broth it creates when cooked with white wine and aromatics. The liquid was briny and worked really well with the pasta and bread. In fact, I think we enjoyed dipping the sourdough into the broth more than we enjoyed the mussels themselves! (It didn't help that we kept biting into what appeared to be little pearls, even though I spent half an hour cleaning the mussels before cooking them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment