Tuesday, June 17, 2014

What I Made for Dinner :: Slow Cooker Roasted Drumsticks and GrilledNectarine Salad


Officially, summer doesn't start until Saturday, but the heat is enough to make me want to stop cooking. Even using the stove makes me sweat, and let's not even talk about turning the oven on. So I'm now on the hunt for more slow cooker recipes to add to my Pinterest board.

This recipe for Slow Cooker Roasted Drumsticks is supposed to mimic the flavor of rotisserie chicken and it actually comes pretty close. Sadly, you don't get the crisp skin from an oven roasted chicken, but I'm willing to sacrifice that for a few months until I can turn the oven back on.

I was rather skeptical and a bit worried about the amount of brown sugar the recipe calls for, but the sweetness was hardly discernible. I did use a tiny bit less than the recipe called for, though. As for the seasoning, I used Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning with extra salt and pepper.

This is a really easy recipe and I plan to make this repeatedly during the summer with other chicken parts too.

The chicken was accompanied by a Grilled Nectarine Chopped Salad that I improvised based on this recipe.


Edited, September 14, 2014 :: To get better color and slightly crispier skin, I broiled the chicken for a few minutes on each side. I prepare about 12 legs so there's no way I can get them into the slow cooker in one layer. You can rotate the chicken half way through the cooking time, but I didn't bother this time around. The pieces that are on the bottom layer are more tender and are almost fall-off-the-bone, but the pieces on top don't dry out and end up with firmer skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment