Saturday, April 13, 2013

What I Made for Dinner :: Vegetable Lasagna

I can't deny it: Rupert and I are getting old(er) and leading a much more sedentary life than we used to. No doubt that's causing health issues we can see (the "pooch" around our middle getting bigger) and can't see (higher cholesterol, vitamin & calcium deficiencies, etc.). We certainly need to eat healthier food so I've been thinking about incorporating more vegetables (and less meat) into our diet.

My intentions have been slow-going in the action department mostly because Ian is a meat & potatoes kind of kid. Yes, he eats more vegetables than most of his friends but he'd prefer being a carnivore over an herbivore any day. The only action I've taken has been to slowly collect vegetarian recipes on Pinterest; I haven't gotten around to actually cooking anything yet.

But things are starting to change. At Maya's request Thursday night's dinner was going to be lasagna. It figures she would head to my in-laws' so she wouldn't get a chance to eat what she wanted. It also worked against Ian because at the last minute I decided to make it vegetarian. Instead of the ground meat I usually add to the sauce, I used eggplant. To give it some extra texture I added chopped kale (I usually use spinach but it's good to mix it up sometimes). And, of course, the usual diced veggies: onion, garlic, carrots, and celery.

I gotta say, it was really good! Probably better than my usual meaty lasagna, which I like a lot. It did not, however truly pass muster with the boy: "It's good, Mom," says Ian, so I inform him there's no meat in it, and not 30 seconds later he says, "I'm full" and stops eating! Well, at least he tried it!

[I had it for dinner on Thursday and Friday, and for lunch on Saturday!]

No comments:

Post a Comment